Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Natural Pecking Order

So apparently nature takes its course in all places, and it starts early. I picked up Caitlin from preschool today, and she told me that she's not allowed to play "mommy." I asked her why, and she said that Christine gets to be the "mommy," and she has to be the "baby." So naturally I investigated more... Matthew, one of the big boys at preschool, always is designated "daddy" and of course the natural pecking order starts there. As the most eligible bachelor in preschool, the girls fall in line as nature so intends. Christine, a kindergartener, is the oldest, so unless she doesn't want to play, she gets to be the mommy. Iyanna, next oldest gets the second choice, and Caitlin, youngest of the non-infants plays the baby.

Natural? Perhaps. It sort of sounds like what the Nature Channel always talks about, but I didn't realize the social order and social standing occurred so early in life!

Well, at least she has the chance to move up in the social order... Poor Matthew is stuck being the daddy no matter what in this playground scenario.

(names may or may not have been changed to protect the um... innocent)

No comments: